Saturday, July 4, 2009

How do I let myself get talked into things?

I love my good friend "A". She is one of my closest friends out in NY. She's the one I ran my first 5K with about 6 weeks ago. So she calls me up about 3 weeks ago "Theresa, you want to run the Firecracker race in Perinton with me?". She sends me the website at to which I look at it, promptly call her back and go "A, did you know that the Firecracker is a 5 mile race, not a 5 K?"

A: Yes. It'll be fun. We'll challenge ourselves.
Me: Are you NUTS?! 5 MILES. You have got to be crazy.
A: Oh, it's not bad, it's only 1.9 miles further than a 5k.
Me: "Only"..."Only" 1.9 miles further. A you are off your rockers. Seriously, what drugs are on, I want some.
A: Come on, Theresa we can do it!
Me: You have to register first. And send me proof of registration. I cannot believe I am letting you talk me into this.

2 minutes later her confirmed registration came through my email. Darn. I had to commit.

So this morning, on this wonderful holiday, I woke up at 6am. And was running my first (and I swear my last) 5 mile race. A's friend "C" also ran with us. C is a true runner, this was nothing for her, and because she was running with us, it was a jog. I did all right for the first mile and a half. Then I had my moments, but I wasn't too far behind them until about the third mile marker. Then I started having issues. Like I couldn't breathe for miles four and 5. At all. Thank you asthma. I love it when I get an asthma attack starting in the middle things.

I did finish, though as I was running up to the finish line, I'm motioning to Todd to meet me there with the inhaler. I crossed it. Started crying out of frustration (I'm such a baby, I hate it when I do that), which of course only made the attack worse. Finally got to sit down, use the inhaler and drink some water. But like I said...5 miles....not for me. At least not with some serious serious serious training over a period of months. Honestly my lungs just can't deal with it. And I hate using my asthma as an excuse, I have never let it stop me before, but I really felt like for the first time it might. And I HATE that feeling.

I'm fine now. I've also had hot bath, I'm changed, and hair pulled back. Read for a day at the lake in a little bit. A nap at the lake might be in order too. I wanted to do better than I did. But I ran the five miles in a little over 57 minutes. So I ran it, in less than an hour. Which was my secondary goal. My first was to run it in less than 55 minutes. But, you can't take it all, all the time.

I hope everyone has a wonderful and happy fourth of July. American readers...please pause, take a moment to realize what an amazing country we live in. It really is unique. It's a melting pot of everyone. Please also remember that we would not be the country that we are today, without the brave men and women, who over 225 years ago stood up and declared our independence. Remember the brave men and women who have protected and defended that independence over the last 225+ years. We owe them our thanks. And our love.

2 comments:

  1. I'm impressed! There was a five-mile race at our 4th of July celebration but I didn't participate. Have you recovered? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome! And a little crazy :)

    ReplyDelete