It's been a week since Spring officially started. And I have yet to see a robin! Everyone else has. My coworker, Joan, my friends J & S, and Todd says he's seen about 3! Me...nothing. So I thought for sure my day would be today!
We started the day by driving down to Cartwright's Maple Tree Inn. A family run, resturaunt. They make their own extememly delicous maple syrup, and homemade, to die for, buckwheat pancakes. I had 4. And I could have had four more. De.li.cious. 'nough said?
So of course after that type of breakfast (OK...if was noon by the time we made it there), we had to work off all those pancakes, right? We had been planning for days to go to Letchworth State Park to do some hiking. At the beginning of the week, it looked like Mother Nature might thwart our plans, as rain was originally predicted. But she was kind, and decided to let us enjoy the first "real" day of spring.
It was sunny and 60! Sunglasses, long sleeved shirt and jeans. I was comfy and even a bit warm at times. We parked our car and began our hike of the Gorge Trail....

At the head of the trail, the trail is 7 miles...one way...we would not be hiking 14 miles today...thank goodness!


A view of Upper Falls...
At Upper Falls...
Todd at Upper Falls
Spring run off...
Still early in the hike...all smiles...
We made it to Middle Falls...neat rainbow!
Todd at Middle Falls
A beautiful view of Middle Falls...the mist in the very back is from Upper Falls
"God wrought for us this scene beyond compare, but one man's loving hand protected it and gave it to his fellow men to share"...what a beautiful quote from Sarah Letchworth. I believe she was talking about her father here.
More spring run off...isn't this a cool photo? Look at the reflection on the water's surface. Todd is an amazing photographer!
Close up of the runoff...
A beautiful and quiet woods...
After a looooooong walk from Middle Falls, we finally made it to...you guessed it...Lower Falls!
Taking a rest...notice the smile is not as big as earlier in the day :)
By this time we were about 3 miles in to the trail, and we'd been hiking for almost 2 hours...so it was time to turn around and head back. I didn't mention it, but the trail was rated "moderate". Fine with us, but we needed to allow enough time to get back, and there were hundreds of stairs involved in that journey back. All up.
We headed back, all total is was about a 6 mile hike, a great workout. I was so tired I actually fell asleep in the car...which I'm finding out now is not so great...I'm wide awake!
Needless to say, 6 miles, 3 waterfalls, and plenty of woods later...I still hadn't seen my robin! I'm still waiting, perhaps tomorrow....













I haven't seen any spring birds here at all.
ReplyDeleteIt even snowed today. It's April! Ugh.
At this rate - maybe I'll see a robin by June?
What gorgeous waterfall! I love the pic with the rainbow! You always seem to go on the best trips! I need more weekends away!
ReplyDelete