Saturday, June 6, 2009

Canal Days

Today Todd and I went to Canal Days. It was great, we just walked down from my apartment, it's only about a mile to the town center from there. Canal Days is something that each canal town holds at some point over the summer. My town is typically the biggest and the first of the year. Lots of crafts, food, libray book sale, tons of people, various stages of entertainment too. We had a wonderful walk down, around, and back.

This pictures doesn't even do it justice
it was wall to wall people


The Colonial Belle was out and about
giving people rides, here it is going under
the lift bridge. That bridge went up and down
so many times while we were there today!

Me, along the edge of the canal


Todd, in front of the lift bridge



Taken from the bridge, looking down the canal
so many people sail and park there boats along
here all summer long


I have been out here for long enough now, that I know I've started to take the canal forgranted. For those that don't know, yes I am referring to the Erie Canal. I live exactly 1 mile away from a great piece of American History. I can take canal cruises if I want. I love walking or biking along the canal path during the summer and fall. Did you know that when I say "canal path" it is commonly referred to as the "tow path". Barges used to be "towed" down the canal by mules walking along the path on either side of the canal! There's your bit of history for the day!


2 comments:

  1. That looks like so much fun! You're always doing fun, exciting things.

    How are things going with Todd? How's work? I feel like I haven't talked to you in forever. I've been really distracted with my horrible workplace drama. I'll do better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to go to the canal days festivals for Brockport and Spencerport. My first photo contest win was for the Spencerport Canal Days in...1997, I believe!

    ReplyDelete