This past weekend Todd and I went to Canandaigua Academy to watch the ballet (yes, I know what an AMAZING boyfriend I have to go to the ballet with me). So Saturday night we were there.
By Tuesday afternoon, one student was dead by suicide, the school went on lockdown, was eventually evacuated to the middle school, all cars there were impounded. Police discovered a sawed off shotgun on the senior who killed himself. 30 rounds of ammo in his locker, and 2 molotov cocktails too.
How lucky is that school and those kids that the senior decided NOT to pull a Columbine before taking his own life? I know that sounds horrible. But they were very lucky. And I admit, I am glad he only took his own life instead of how many others with him. Yet at the same time it makes you think...what is this world coming to?
We've all see stories similar to this one, in one degree or another on TV. However, it was very different to have this happen in your own backyard. Canandaigua is Todd's old HS. We walked through those same halls together on Saturday. It's less than 20 miles from my place. I saw, first hand, how people were affected.
That same night (Tuesday) we had choir rehersal, as usual. Choir practice is in Canandaigua. It's a community choir, but it at the local community college, so there are students in it as well. One of the sopranos that usually stands near me, was in tears while singing. I desperatedly wanted to give her a hug. I felt terrible for her. She graduated from the Academy last year. She had friends there. Worse, her little sister goes there and lived through all of that. Worse yet...it was her sister's birthday. What a way to celebrate.
The students were back in school yesterday, albeit on a 2 hour delay. The first part of the day was spent talking, and reclaiming backpacks, cars, etc.
So again I ask...after witnessing this...what has this world come to? And what is in store for my children?
16 Years
3 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment