Saturday, May 24, 2008

Paris Pictures - Part 1

So after we finally met up in Charles de Gaulle airport, we made our way to fabulous little apartment! Navigating the Paris subway (aka "the Metro") was interesting. We were both lugging about 50 lbs. luggage, and it was all stairs. There is no such thing as handicap friendly in that city. So anyways...we arrived at our apartment...



Just after arrival, tired, but very excited!



Here is the view from our apartment, a "typical" little Parisian street.

Our apartment was about a block and a half from the Louvre, so we were right in the heart of Paris! After arriving we decided to go out and wander about the area, get our bearings and find something to eat.


A picture of one of the "side" entrances to a Louvre courtyard.



A picture of a grand building across the pedestrian bridge. Pay attention to this bridge as it became an intergral part of our trip!

After our walk, we headed back to the apartment and took a nap. We just couldn't keep our eyes open! After about 2 hours we decided to wander out and find a bit of dinner, before coming back and sleeping the night away.

Turns out we not only slept the night away but the morning as well! It wasn't until Todd gave me a call on our cell (we rented one for a week -- I highly recommend it), and told me it was 1pm Paris time that we got up! We couldn't believe we'd slept 1/2 of our first day in Paris away. Needless to say we set the alarm the remaining time we were there.

So after waking up and getting ready we set out.


Our first stop was the Arc de Triomphe. We didn't go up, but obviously we got a few photos while we were there. We had other plans in mind....




Our first "real" destination was the Eiffel Tower of course! Duh! This view is when we're still at least a 1/2 mile away, it's massive!



On our way there we walked by this neat building. This is a garden, it was growing all over the side of the building...crazy!



Well, we finally made it to the Eiffel Tower. And L, somehow convinced me to take the stairs up! I know, I know, I was crazy.



This is the view from the 1st level of the Eiffel Tower. You can see Momantre (the hilly portion) and on the top of the hill is Sacre Cure. (BTW, I make no promises that I'm spelling anything correctly!)



Here I am, after climbing up yet another set of stairs to the second level! Look where I'm at...I'm on the Eiffel Tower!



The view from the second level...check out the tower's shadow and how it's leading right up to that gorgeous church! That might be Notre Dame, but now I'm not so sure.

You're only able to walk the stairs to the first two levels. Once you're on level 2, you can purchase yet another ticket to take the elevator to the very tippy top.



View from the Tippy top of the Eiffel Tower. It's amazing! If you look closely you can see the Arc de Triomphe in this photo!



We timed it just right and lucked into being able to see the sunset over Paris from the top of the Eiffel Tower! It was so beautiful, what a great way to end our first full day in Paris.

We started the walk home, and of course the Eiffel tower is beautiful at night, so it took us a bit to wander our way back.


A beautiful postcard shot of the Tower at night if I do say so myself!



We had both forgotten that the Eiffel Tower gives a light show every night on the hour beginning at 10pm. I tried to capture it. This photo does not do it justice. It's light by thousands of strobe lights going off. The show lasts about 10 minutes. This is another postcard, I think!

So that is the end of our day. As I have tons of pictures...I took over 350!...I think I'll have to post about the trip in increments. Don't worry, I won't post each and every one! So more to come soon...up next...Notre Dame!

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE pictures! I can't wait to see more :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the photos! The eiffel tower looks so beautiful at night! It was my favourite time to take pictures of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got some great shots! I was there wow, 8 years ago now, and I forgot how beautiful Paris really is. BTW, it's spelled "Sacre Coeur." I used to be fluent in french... now I'm lucky if I could hold a conversation at all. :-) Looks like your trip was wonderful and can't wait to see more pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photos! I want to go to Paris now!

    Will you send me your email at kristinmwarner@hotmail.com? I'm going to be going private shortly. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete